Friday 11 December 2015

Review of Play by Jim Cartwright (Landlord and Landlady)  Drama Rob's Lessons?
The Play wright Jim Cartwright


Landlady and Landlord in ''Two'' By Jim Cartwright


The Play that we currently worked on was Jim Cartwright's play ''Two'' based on to characters a landlady who wants to get her husbands attention and the truth about how he is feeling and what happened that makes him like he is and the Landlord the character who hides his feelings and does not show it by regularly drinking to take the hurt and pain away and completely ignore his wife. but other than that their our no themes in the play that are highlighted throughout the scene.


In the rehearsal room the notes we received as we rehearsed were to take our time when saying the lines so that we don't rush them especially the Landlady's monologue a key point in the performance which highlights what happened to the son during his death  and about the quote ''elephant in the room'' which means we should make the actions over exaggerated and big so the audience figures out what exactly we are doing and by doing it we rehearsed what we did repeatedly until we thought it was good and we were prepared and the same in Rob's opinion for all of us. Another thing we thought was key was to have were goals we set and could reach in the performance to make it even better and bring it up to the next level such as proxemics to make sure their is no blocking which I thought stood out in every piece throughout the rehearsals from the start of the assignment until the end and also knowing exactly who are characters are when we go into their shoes and think about their journey, thought processes throughout the rehearsals which I admit I struggled to understand at first but when properly getting into the role knew confidentially what I was doing.



What I learnt was how to become a character I am not usually used to performing which is  far from my comfort zone as I am a shy but loud and talkative sort of person but when it comes to learning lines know what I say as I enjoy rehearsing my lines repeatedly at home and have a passion for Drama as in Acting. I feel I have also come out of my shell ever since I did it at secondary school and I have learnt various vocal and body or physical skills to help me bring out my voice more or shall I say project and pronounce words clearly to be understood. I also learnt a different way to do miming using body gestures and other techniques. Another point I want to make is I feel after rehearsing when it comes to performing to an audience if I know what I am doing confidently I can perform without thinking I am performing to a crowd and the nerves get to me but I feel less stressed with thinking about making errors or messing up, but rather feel happy and passionate about what I am doing and perform with confidence with the support from my amazing class or supportive class and also friends.



Any discussion points which came out from rehearsals with the teacher were just to be confident when performing your scripts throughout the weeks we rehearsed in class and beyond and to have proxemics, no blocking your pair or other people if you were in a group. The only piece of research I did was what the landlady would wear as the play was set in the 80's and was a modern era but had mainly bright or vibrant colours and patterns to make you stand out on the stage in front of the bright lights and the massive stage.
 But on the day I thought as individuals/a class we all performed fantastically and not one person came out of role we all remained in our characters shoes and the performed ended the atmosphere in a rush of happiness and adrenaline which made us fell positive and proud of what we achieved and I definitely think we all did amazingly well I am so proud of everyone.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment